Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thinking...and then rethinking

I was checking up on the class notes, cruising Rosanna's blog when I read her entry; "Pregnancy of Poems." My attention was caught by one sentence: "if poems are born, then there must be a universal poetic language. And what is that?"
True all literature shares patterns and rhythms, so in essence they all speak the same speak, but I don't see how the metaphor of a piece of writing being "born" has to do with it.

I think my biggest problem with this simple concept is basically that people are born and we by no means have one universal language, literally or figuratively. We're all people, so we share the various patterns and rhythms of the type, or mode, of person we are. Poems, or pieces of literature also have patterns and rhythms in themselves that make up what they are. They are also are born from the artists womb of a brain in the same sense that when a child is born. And similarly, once the poem/child leaves the womb/hands of the artist it's severed all ties. It's its own person, in a sense. It's one self as a piece of writing, even though it is still so-and-so's piece of writing, just as I am my parents daughter. It doesn't make me them, or even the essence of them. They just typed up up and sewed my pages to my spine.

The only thing that gives insight into who/what the poem/child is, is in itself. To understand the poem, the answers are in the words. In how it's written and what it says about who or what. The same goes for a person; the outside can be altered by the opinions and tastes of others, but that's on the inside, what's in the text itself, is what or who the person is. The patterns of behavior and rhythms in which they live out their lives is in a sense their language of being, of existing as a person...

Wait a minute, that's kinda what Rosanna said. Aha! So maybe now as I'm writing I'm understanding more of what Rosanna was saying. So the patterns and rhythms are the universal language because they can be found in all things written...almost.

What an odd entry. But as it has happened before, as I write about something I supposedly don't understand, I work it out through the thinking process of writing. I was too stuck on that once sentence that I couldn't step back and really see the whole idea of what Rosanna was saying. And as tempting as it is to restart this entry and have a writing topic that is actually coherent, I'm going to keep it as is and hope it wasn't too confusing (or pointless).

No comments: