Friday, December 12, 2008

The End of English 300


I have already said that I learned an unsurpassed amount this semester from Dr. Sexson, but I have also learned a lot from my fellow students. We are all here, as English major and minors, to celebrate the world of literature and of the word. I know I'm here because I love words and the ingenious ways they are put together to form sentences and phrases.

Language sticks in my head, that's how I know I wanted to be a writer. For some people it numbers, for others it's the science and formulas that make up our world and our planet. And for others, like my parents, its music; notes and rhythms that shape the world that they see and love. For us it's words, letters that build art, paint pictures of different worlds that anyone can visit at any time...as long as they can read.

I was thinking back to Jiwon and Douglas's individual presentations on their defenses for poetry and how they each talked about the barrier of different languages put up when you're in a country that doen't speak your antive language. I can't imagine how crippling it would feel to not be able to even read street signs, to have to import or bring whatever books you would need. I probably wouldn't be able to survive without being able to read. I'd probably withdraw into my own head, where I could write and experience my own stories. And then I'd become that crazy girl who's always talking to herself to never says anything and endlessly stares off into space, reading a novel that's not there.
And yes, I bet even dinosaurs liked to read.

No comments: