Monday, December 1, 2008

Results of Literature

First...
http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/marvell/coy.htm


When results of literature was mentioned in class today, my foggy mind finally woke a little. I thought almost immediately of a book I read in my high school senior AP English class; Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's one of my all time favorite books. Not only for the bizarre/impossible/amazing/frightening realism along, but the emotional turmoil it creates at the end. Not to mention the lengthy and often heated arguments that result. But what I really love is how differently people react. I wish I could tell you more but I insists that anyone who hasn't read it, do so and tell me what you think. All I can tell you is that it involves a little boy getting stranded out at sea in a life boat with a tiger. Well, not just a tiger, but he ends up with only a tiger. Interest peaked? I sure hope so. It is a touchstone in my literature life, and it rocks my socks off.
I enjoy all kinds of literature; science fiction to Shakespeare and everything in between. But literature that tests the core morals of one's very soul (dun, dun, duuuun) just fascinates me. It shakes people and makes them think not for hours or days, but months to years. It sticks with you for life and becomes a part of it. Neat, huh.

Oh, and I was thinking of the question of who my favorite place traveled with a character in a novel and I have to say I think it would have to be Middle Earth with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

No comments: